Friday, November 25, 2005

Who Did You Thank On Thanksgiving?

As the secular nutcases push to exterminate any reference to "God" from the public view, Ol' BC was wondering who we should thank on Thanksgiving. Did I do it correctly? Jonah Goldberg had an interesting column on that very subject.

And if you're going to give thanks, you'll need someone to give thanks to.
Typically, that would be God — although, no doubt, if Messrs. Newdow and
Jillette got their way, we'd direct our thanks to a large coalition of
benefactors, including everything from a random universe and primordial ooze to
the guy who delivered the turkey. But God himself? He'd be left off the
thank-you card list.

Now I could go on and on about folks taking a high risk boat ride across the Atlantic seeking freedom of religion and landing on what became the United States. Or, I could talk about how my ancestors came to this country and assimilated. That, however, seems to be expecting too much of today's immigrants according to the nutjobs who run their mouths and file the lawsuits.
There is so much in this area that could make a good rant someday.

Just a thought.

1 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Col. Hogan said...

I guess I'm grateful to family and friends for the kind of life I have. Since I'm more the Penn Jillette type than the Jerry Falwell type, I have no invisible friend.

Further reflection tells me that I ought to be thankful to Tom Paine, John Adams, et al for having the good sense to create a political system in which the likes o' me can live well. So, I am.

Here's hoping our children and grandchildren can say the same thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home